Access to ISA - Apply for beam time
How to prepare and submit proposals to request beam time.
For all users of ASTRID2
- Before submitting a proposal please ensure that you have read the information on the Access to ISA page.
- Before you submit a proposal, it is advised that you contact the beam line scientist responsible for the facility you wish to use.
There are two ways in which you may prepare a proposal to request beam time on ASTRID2.
If you are in any doubt as to which method to use, or have any questions regarding how to complete the proposal, please contact either the relevant beam line scientist or the ISA secretary() for assistance.
Method 1: Using the ISA proposal and beam time application form
Please download the proposal form below (doc or pdf) and complete all of the appropriate sections of the form.
- ISA Proposal and Beam time Application Form
Note: this version of the form may differ from previous years
Submit the proposal electronically to the ISA secretary, Karin Vittrup (), ISA, Centre for Storage Ring Facilities, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Aarhus University.
Method 2: Using the wayforlight - Standard Proposal Form
As part of the CALIPSO programme a new standardised proposal form (SPF) and submission process was created on the wayforlight website, which allows users to have a single entry point for submission of proposals to all of the European synchrotron and FEL facilities in the network. To read more about this initiative click here. Although the CALIPSO programme has now finished, we continue to accept applications made using the SPF on the wayforlight website.
To submit a proposal for beam time on ASTRID2 using the wayforlight standard proposal form.
The procedure is described below.
- If you have a username and password for a facility using Umbrella, login using the link at the top right of the page. If you do not have such a login you may still proceed with submission of a proposal, however your personal information will be required by the facility to complete the proposal.
- Fill out the Standard Proposal Form. Not all of the information requested in the wayforlight form is required in an application for beam time on ASTRID2.
Therefore you only need to fill out the following fields:
- Proposal objectives
- User category & financial support: Select "EU funded" and "Request financial support" if you wish to be considered for funding under CALIPSOplus.
- Proposal category: Please indicate if this is a continuation of an existing project on ASTRID/ASTRID2 or if it is a new project.
- Discipline: Select the discipline and "specific discipline" relevant to you project.
- Shifts required: A "shift" in this case is 8 hours as most facilities assign beam time in this way, however we generally only assign beam time in days so the number you entered here should be the number of days you request multiplied by 3.
- Motivation for the present proposal
- Project description
- Explain why this work calls for access to the facility
None of the information requested in the "Technical Part" of the form is required, however as an empty field is not accepted enter "n/a" in the text fields, "1" in the sample size/mass fields (zero is not accepted) and select "No" for everything under "Risk in sample or equipment". The text fields after the sample details are also not required.
If you have any uncertainty or specific requirements regarding equipment or samples you will need for your experiments, you should contact the relevant beam line scientist BEFORE submission of a proposal.
Once all of the fields have been filled in, proceed to the next step by selecting "Download Proposal".
- This will initiate the download of an xml file containing all of the information you have just entered, which, depending on your browser, will either be saved automatically to a default location or you will be asked if and where it should be saved.
- Then click the "Next" button which appears at the bottom of the form. On the list of facilities on the next page, select AU-ISA ASTRID2 and then click the "Download pdf" button to save a pdf file onto your computer which contains all of the information you have just filled in on the previous page.
If you need to modify the proposal you have written in any way, then you simply need to return to the standard proposal form page and upload the xml file you previously saved, make any necessary changes and repeat as above to produce an updated pdf file.
For submission of this proposal to request beam time on ASTRID2 you will then need to fill out an additional form (given below) with a few details we require that are not included in the wayforlight proposal form.
What to do once you have generated a pdf of your proposal on the wayforlight website
Download and fill in the following form to support the submission of a proposal generated on the wayforlight website:
Send the pdf file from the wayforlight website containing your proposal and the file (doc or pdf) containing the supporting information to:
- The ISA secretary, Karin Vittrup
ISA, Centre for Storage Ring Facilities, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Aarhus University.
Click the button below to proceed to the Standard Proposal Form on the wayforlight website
Last Modified 21 September 2017